The ESDS AGM was held on 23rd January 2020 at LifeCare Centre. Here’s a quick rundown of what was covered in the meeting.
What we did in 2019
Classes and workshops
- 6 terms of Lindy on Thursdays, a taster in collegiate shag, 3 solo jazz classes, and an “intro to solo jazz”
- 5 Thursday band nights (one part of Edinburgh Swings into Spring weekend)
- 8 mini workshops including Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 Refresher workshops, and one on solo jazz.
- April workshop weekend – “Edinburgh Swings into Spring”
- Pippa for shag taster
- Katie and Jamie from EUSDS
- Shell and Tim for Advanced workshop
Events and other stuff
- Regular visits to the pub to make beginners feel welcome and get to know others
- Conducted a members survey to find out what they would like to see us doing
- Introduced 10 Class Pass Card
- Implemented new teaching plan to develop our teachers and enhance the class experience for our members
- Launched new Thursday structure
- 5 Outdoor dancing events
- Members raised and donated £150 to local charity Health in Mind
Thanks to Volunteers
- Thursday volunteers : Alice, Amy, Jarek, Emily, Doug and Karen
- DJs : Minna; Eva, Valerie, Paddy, Lottie, Michael, Niall, Kate and Siggy
- Teachers : Paddy, Katie, George, Migle, Dimitris, Minna; Alex, Lottie, Jane, Vicky, Rhona, Niall and Graeme.
- Committee : Cristina, Vicky; Rhona, Lottie, Niall, Pippa, Will, Emma and Scott.
Plans for 2020
- More weekend workshops
- Winter Swing Weekend 2020
- Plus whatever the new committee dreams up.
Summary of financial report
- Money generated by Thursday classes continues to be our main source of income.
- This income covers our overheads such as hall hire and insurance.
- All teaching/running of the ESDS is by unpaid volunteers.
- Events such large workshop weekends continue to be subsidised for the benefit of members.
- Refresher workshops are run on a break-even basis, but generated a small income this year.
- We continue to donate to charity on an ad-hoc basis (£150 raised for MIND this year)
Changes to the constitution
The meeting unanimously approved the plans that “All Committee members shall be determined by election by the ESDS membership at an ESDS General Meeting. Specific roles shall be determined by the Committee members.”. The main benefit of this is that the AGM can be a LOT shorter 🙂
Karen, Ross, and Jeff volunteered to join the committee to replace those standing down. All were proposed and seconded. Welcome, one and all!